This article will show you how to set up a dialup connection on Windows XP.
- Open the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Control Panel may open in "Category View" (illustrated below) or "Classic View".
- If it opens in Classic View, skip to step 4.
- If it opens in Category View (below), select Network and Internet Connections.
- Select Network Connections.
- This will open the Network Connections Control Panel. In the Network Tasks column, click Create a New Connection.
Note: If Network Tasks is not available, select File from the top left-hand corner of the window and click Create a New Connection.
- The New Connection Wizard will open. Click Next.
- Make sure Connect to the Internet is selected and then click Next.
- Select Set up my connection manually and then click Next.
- Make sure that Connect using a dial-up modem is selected and then click Next.
- Enter the name "Westnet" and click Next. This will create a label for your connection, when you view Network Connections.
- For Phone Number to Dial, enter 0198333955. Click Next.
- Enter the following details:
Username: Enter your Westnet username (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: Enter your Westnet password
Confirm password: Enter your Westnet password again
- Tick the box labelled Make this the default Internet connection and then click Next.
- We recommend that you select Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop. This will create a "Shortcut to Westnet" icon on your desktop that you can easily double-click to get online.
- Click Finish. To connect to the Internet, double-click the "Westnet" icon on your desktop or on the Network Connections Control Panel.